by 1st Phorm May 11, 2015 3 min read
I, for one love energy bars. They are easy and convenient to take with you for breakfast or a snack. They generally help give a good kick of energy through the use of carbohydrates to fuel your day.
The one problem is that not all granola bars are good for you. A lot of times granola bars, especially chocolate ones, are full of sugar and more like a candy bar than a nutritious snack. I have tried looking for substitutes at the store, but oftentimes the healthier granola bars are quite expensive for a small box of four to six bars. So I’ve thought, would it be better if I make my own?
1st Phorm provides this delicious recipe solution for homemade chocolate quinoa energy bars. They are pretty healthy too! The bars use the natural taste of almonds, dates, almond butter, honey and the Chocolate Milkshake Phormula-1 to give your quinoa energy bars the sweet taste your sweet-tooth is looking to satisfy. The dates, almond butter, and honey hold the other ingredients together so you can shape, cut, and pack these quinoa energy bars without them crumbling so easily.
The quinoa adds texture to the energy bars too, giving you the carbs and fiber your body needs. Quinoa is a superfood and compared to other grains it adds a higher average of nutrients. The quinoa in these bars adds fiber to the bar, and also protein! So not only are you getting protein from the nuts and nut butter in these bars, but you are getting it from the protein in quinoa. 1st Phorm is not kidding when they made this protein bar recipe. You can get up to 15 grams of protein eating one of these chocolate energy quinoa bars.
The chocolate quinoa energy bars are easy and cheap to make. With a few simple steps you can mix up the ingredients and then store these bars for several days until you take them with you to enjoy.
As an energy bar lover, the simplicity, nutritional value, and price of making these 1st Phorm chocolate quinoa bars has encouraged me to put the energy bar box back on the shelf at the store and mix up a batch of my own quinoa energy bars at home.
Servings: 8 (1 Serving = 1 Bar)
1. In a covered pot over medium heat, bring quinoa and water to a boil.
2. Reduce the water to a simmer and leave it covered for 15 minutes.
3. When the quinoa is fully cooked, refrigerate it for a couple hours or overnight.
4. Make a date paste by pulsing them alone in a food processor or blender. Set them aside.
5. In the food processor, grind almonds until they are broken in small pieces but have not been turned to flour.
6. In a large bowl, add the dates, almond butter, quinoa and Phormula-1. Mix until all the ingredients are well integrated.
7. Divide this mixture into 8 evenly-sized pieces and form each one into a bar. Refrigerate the bars for an hour or two and store them in an airtight container.
If you're looking for more healthy recipes, nutrition tips, or anything else ... reach out to us! Our Customer Service team of NASM Certified Personal Trainers and Nutrition Coaches is happy to help ... all for free! Just give us a call at 1-800-409-9732 or send us an email at CustomerService@1stPhorm.com.